That frozen pipes can occur even in occupied properties? Here are some tips for prevention:
- Locate the main water shut off before a broken pipe occurs.
- Disconnect all hoses; if the water freezes in the hose, it can break the spigot.
- Most new spigots have a shut off valve inside the house or garage; shut off any spigots with this feature.
- Put spigot covers on all outside faucets.
- Make sure that there is some heat on in the house at all times, including when no one is home.
- Keep the garage door closed so any heat will be kept inside.
- If the temperature drops below 20° during the day, let water trickle in all the faucets.
- In periods of extreme cold, leave cupboard doors open under sinks on exterior walls so the heat will get to the pipes.