The City of Tacoma has passed an ordinance regarding rentals. The new “Rental Housing Code” goes into effect February 1, 2019.
- Increases the number of days a landlord must give a tenant before terminating a tenancy;
- Requires a 60-day notice before raising rent;
- Depending on the length of the lease, allows tenants to pay deposits and last month’s rent in installments;
- Requires landlords to pay tenant relocation assistance in certain circumstances; and
- Requires landlords to provide tenants with specific information – which has not yet been created by the city.
There are stiff penalties for violations, including possible $500/day penalties.
We are here to help you and your clients with all aspects of the rental market. Please contact us for further assistance!
There are no warranties, express or implied, including fitness for a particular purpose, made with respect to this communication.Nothing found herein should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a legal opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of law. You should obtain the advice of an attorney well versed in these matters.