The King County Council passed an ordinance regarding rentals which went into effect on July 16, 2021? This ordinance applies to all rental properties in King County that are outside of city limits. (Unincorporated) The new law includes the following provisions:
- The maximum monthly late fee is 1.5% of one month’s rent.
- Landlords may not require potential tenants to provide a social security number when applying for a rental.
- The security deposit and move in fees charged shall not exceed one month’s rent.
- Tenants with a rental agreement of at least six months may elect to pay move in fees and security deposits in equal payments over the first six months of the lease.
- Rent increases of 3% or more require 120 days’ notice.
- A landlord found in violation of any of the provisions in this chapter is liable for the greater of double the tenant’s economic and noneconomic damages or three times the monthly rent of the dwelling unit at issue, and legal fees.
We are here to help you and your clients with all aspects of the rental market. Please contact us for further assistance!
Nothing found herein should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a legal opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of law. You should not rely solely on this information. We encourage our clients to work with a lawyer experienced in commercial and/or residential real estate matters as they can be complicated and confusing.